Julie's Reviews > Too Close to the Sun: The Audacious Life and Times of Denys Finch Hatton

Too Close to the Sun by Sara Wheeler

Mar 14, 12

This book was about the life of Denys Finch Hatton, who is well known for his relationship with Karen Blixen (out of africa fame ) I have never seen the film so i did not get a picture of Robert Redford in my mind !!. He seemed like a man who cast a spell over women and men alike i image him as a Nigel havers type character so utterly charming and British, there is not much to go on as he died in 1931, and all the people who knew him obviously have passed away , it seems no papers or letters written by him have survived, so the author did a good job with the little she had to work on. I found the section about his war exploits really interesting, it is true it is the forgotten war, we think about the western front and the bloody battles like the Somme,Ypres but we forget the men fighting in East Africa, who died of starvation, tropical disease, killed by wild animals and fought a long hard war being killed in their thousands. I dont think he was selfish, he was a man who didnt want to settle down and go down the route of marriage and children, i am sure when he met karen he thought she was the same, but she seemed to change and want something he couldnt provide, i found this really sad, Beryl Markham chased him for 8 years so he obviously had something! I like the way he altered his views of big game hunting as he got older and lobbied for a national park,and preferred to shoot with his camera. I like to think that if he lived he would have perhaps become instrumental in setting up a national park and become a warden," the poacher turned gamekeeper." I dont think you really got a full picture of the man himself, because of the lack of material, which was a shame.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Too Close to the Sun.