Coral's Reviews > Slave to Sensation

Mar 18, 12

bookshelves: paranormal
Recommended for: Paranormal Romance Fans
Read from March 15 to 18, 2012

The setting of Slave to Sensation a not too distant future, with a slightly altered history. Human evolution has branched out into two distinct species, the Changeling and the Psy. This might sound like the set up to a Sci-Fi story, but really it's much more firmly placed in the Fantasy realm than anything remotely scientific. Overall, I quite liked the book. I enjoy Singh's writing style. She has quick pace with not an undue amount of description. There were a few places where the navel-gazing got a bit much, but that's not unusual in this genre.

The formatting of the Kindle version is quite a mess, but not unreadable for me. There are multiple carriage returns between paragraphs and the indentation is inconsistent. If you're a format stickler, it might make you a little crazy.

There are abrupt PoV shifts within scenes, as is pretty prevalent in the paranormal romance genre. I found the head-hopping in this book much less annoying than most, but I don't know if that's because it was better handled or I'm just getting used to it.

I wasn't sold on Sascha at the start, but I found her more compelling as the book went on. She wasn't the usual plucky heroine, but she brought something interesting to the story as she learned how to deal with her emotions. In a way this was almost a coming of age story. Lucas is an alpha male with a haunted past. His character is pretty stereotypical, but since that's one of my favorite kinds, I liked him.

In summary, if you're a Paranormal Romance fan I think you'll like this one. I also think it's a nice introductory book to PNR because the sex isn't quite as overblown as some others in the genre.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slave to Sensation.