Lindsay's Reviews > The Elements of Typographic Style

The Elements of Typographic Style by Robert Bringhurst

Apr 30, 12

bookshelves: design
Read in May, 2011

Every now and then I need a reminder that every craft demands excellence; that good art requires attention to detail; that ignorance of fundamental principles is inexcusable. This book is one of those reminders.

As a not-even amateur typographer, I borrowed a copy to get a crash course on typography before formatting a friend’s book. Now I can’t imagine formatting an internal memo without it. It’s a thorough, beautiful, and surprisingly enjoyable introduction to the art of the printed word, to the architecture of the book.

And while I enjoyed The Elements of Typographic Style from cover to cover, it’s perhaps principally an invaluable reference tool, particularly for us typographic neophytes. Still, it never loses sight of “the grand design,” the “why’s” and principles behind the minutiae.

If you’ve never paid attention to the structure, rhythm, harmony and overall aesthetics of the texts you consume, you might come to appreciate an art form you never knew existed. And even if typography isn’t your chosen field, you’ll walk away with a greater appreciation for the skill behind the beauty.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Elements of Typographic Style.