Sharon's Reviews > Becoming Real

Becoming Real by Gail Saltz

Jun 07, 12

bookshelves: spirituality
Read from March 14 to June 06, 2012

I found this book in the house and had no recollection of having read it previously. Even as I read it this time, I didn't remember seeing it before, so it's possible I bought it when it first came out with plans to read and never did so.

Anyway, Saltz talks about the ways we develop mental survival mechanisms as children: stories that we tell ourselves that serve us in our youth and that carry over into adulthood, where they seldom work nearly as well. She describes 10 personality types and what makes them that way ... as well as how to overcome the stories that created them.

What this book is really about is learning how to sit with your feelings and figure out what they're telling you. Feelings are created by thoughts about events, and being conscious that a) an event is neutral and b) what we think about that neutral thing that happened ... a fact, if you will ... is what creates the feelings, not the event itself.

Living consciously allows you to look at the thoughts you have and change them ... which in turn changes your response to life and the stories that you tell yourselves. This book would be a good adjunct to those by Martha Beck, Byron Katie, Jerry & Esther Hicks and similar ... but lacks the compassionate tone of the other authors.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Becoming Real.

03/15/2012 page 11