Misty's Reviews > Truth or Dare . . .

Truth or Dare . . . by P.J. Night

Mar 30, 12

bookshelves: own, recieved-for-review
Read from March 28 to 29, 2012

When I read that this new series was the 'Goosebumps for the modern generation,' I knew it had big shoes to fill, I was a fan of Goosebumps in my early teens and still have a stack of them on my shelf so, of course, I was eager to give this a try, even if it is aimed at 9-11 year olds!

Thankfully the book lived up to the claim and I found I really enjoyed it, and I didn't even guess the end! I think it's fantastically written for the audience it's aimed at and made a great guilty pleasure for myself as I'm *ahem* somewhat older than the targeted market *ahem*

It's quite short, I read it in a day, and there's always plenty happening, great for stopping young minds getting distracted or bored and would make a great start for younger readers getting into novels.

I wouldn't necesserily say the story is completely original but it was a lot of fun, and being hauted via text and email is not something I've seen before!

One complaint I do have is that there is no mention anywhere of the girls ages or where it was set so I had to guess at these details myself, but I liked all of the characters, I really felt their excitement at their sleepover at the start and it made me reminise of sleepovers - way - past. The author did a great job of capturing the mindset of the young girls the book follows and I really liked it, I also thought the 'creepy' activities in the back of the book were pretty cool.

I think it's safe to say I'm looking forward to more books in this series, they're a great little escape :)

Favourite quotes

'She grabbed the DVDs off the worktop and followed her friends down the stairs. The awesome sleepover she'd been planning all week was about to begin.'

'A sudden feeling of fear washed over Abby. I know I didn't close the wardrobe door, she thought slowly. Step by step, she walked across the room, her heart thudding loudly in her chest. Her hand started to shake as she reached for the smooth brass doorknob; she dreaded opening the door. Who - or what - would she find behind it?'

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Truth or Dare . . ..

03/29/2012 page 108