Jennifer's Reviews > The Hunt

The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda

May 07, 12

bookshelves: 2012-reads, horror, young-adult, paranormal-and-supernatural, post-apocalyptic, vampires
Read from April 28 to May 05, 2012

From the very beginning, this novel is intriguing, exciting, and pretty horrific! The world that Andrew Fukuda creates is intensely frightening, and the story he tells is one of survival among your enemies. A great premise, a driving story, and plot twists that will keep surprising you until the very end. Definitely a worthy read!

Review originally posted on my blog: http://a-librarians-library.blogspot....

What if you woke up to a world that was no longer human? Not a zombie world, but a world of Vampires.

From the get-go, this novel plunges right into this intensely frightening world of monstrous Vampires. And Gene seems to be the only "Heper" left in civilization. Having meticulously learned how to survive from his father, Gene spends every second of the day...or rather, nighttime, pretending to be one of these creatures too. This task of hiding in plain sight proves difficult, as these vampires do not sweat, they do not laugh, they do not make quick movements, and they show no emotion whatsoever. But Gene has trained himself to act exactly like them, and he has survived for ten years by himself. But then, The Heper Hunt is announced. And Gene holds the lucky lottery number. He gets to participate in the most exciting event of the decade! But how can he survive a hunt for Hepers when he is a Heper himself?

Andrew Fukuda showcases his talent and skill for writing by creating this truly frightening world. He draws you in from the very beginning and KEEPS you in for the duration of the novel. Then he spits you out in "OH EM GEE where did this story just go! WOW!" land, leaving you yearning for more! That, my friends, takes a special talent!

Our narrator, Gene (who actually does not name himself until about halfway through the novel), is a unique individual. For years he has been living strictly in survival mode, hiding amongst his enemies, taking every precaution to keep his humanness under control. But when taken out of the safety of his home and dragged straight into living among the vampires, Gene struggles with keeping his secret a secret. As a main character, Gene exhibits both strength and vulnerability in his situation, which makes him a very interesting and intriguing individual, both to readers and to the other characters in this story. Everyone is interested in Gene--the director, the other hunters, and the imprisoned Hepers. As a reader, I was interested in Gene, too, and I felt myself wanting just a little more development from him. We get some factoids about his past interspersed with the present, but I just wanted to see a little more dynamics with the MC.

The other characters in this novel definitely add intrigue and fear to this storyline, but there were moments when I was really confused about who they really were. The director, who is this grimacing vampire man, becomes very suspicious when he takes a personal interest in Gene and Ashley June. But then there was a point in the story where he was in the middle of the scene and then just disappears, with no explanation. And it was kind of awkward and kind of confusing, and it made me infer certain things about him that ended up not being true. Maybe we can chalk this up to being a draft inconsistency? I don't really know. And then Ashley June, the apple of Gene's eye, is both cute and slightly creepy at the same time. But in her case, I am just blaming social awkwardness in really intense situations because I really did like her. I think the most interesting character in this novel has to be Sissy, the leader of the Hepers, the only female. Mr. Fukuda pays special attention to her development and spends a lot of time including little details throughout the whole story to add to her intrigue and development as one of the last identified Hepers.

When I picked up this book, I was really expecting a stand-alone novel. About halfway through reading I found out that this was a proposed series, my initial reaction was WHY? And HOW? But never fear, Mr. Fukuda constantly twists and turns this plot from what I thought was going to be a Hunger Games-like scenario into something COMPLETELY different and unique. And his set up into book two of this series is ingenious and unexpected.

Now, I do feel like I just didn't get enough world-building in the sense that I have NO IDEA why this world is the way it is. Where did these Vampires come from? How did they turn into vampires? I loved the action-driven plot, but I really wanted to know more about this world in which Gene and Ashley June and Sissy find themselves trapped. Hopefully, with all of the developments with the Scientist's journals, we will learn more about this world in the sequel!

Overall, I thought this novel was superb. It is always surprising you and keeps you guessing until the very end! And then it leaves you wondering "What will happen, now?" A vampire novel that takes out the sparkle and adds back the original creepiness of Dracula. A must-read for lovers of paranormal, horror, and/or dystopia!

Find it in a store near you on Tuesday, May 8th!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunt.

04/28/2012 page 25