Discombobulatedbooks's Reviews > The Maze Runner

The Maze Runner by James Dashner

U 50x66
I love the plot. I love (most of) the characters. I love the author. I love the book. It is one of the best series I have ever read! It is just AMAZING! …<— trying to calm myself, as I am hyperventilating just thinking about it! (so, I may ramble a lot in this review… ). *Taking a deep breath* This book is the first in a trilogy, by James Dashner, called the Maze Runner trilogy (such imagination(!)). The books that follow it are the Scorch Trials and the Death Cure, which are equally as good, apart from the ending of the Death Cure, as it just leaves too many unanswered questions.. URG… I HATE THE ENDING… sorry… rambling again…. This trilogy also has a prequel, called the Kill Order, but that isn’t out yet…, unfortunately …
The main character of the book is this guy called Thomas, and kinda also this girl. The book starts with Thomas going up the shaft, into the maze, and being surrounded by kids around his age. Also, all he can remember is his name, nothing, not anything else… (how creepy would that be?, if I were him, at that point, I would have teared my head apart…). Then the plot THICKENS! The next day a girl is sent up, who is the first girl to have EVER arrived in the Glade (aka the maze)!!! dum dum dum! The plot is basically about them trying to get out of the maze!
How James Dashner writes off so many characters…
He killed so many of my favourite character… At the end of the book, I was emotionally traumatized… and I was so close to tears… ;( I just hate how, with some characters, he doesn’t give them the proper noble death and funeral they deserve… It was just like “Bang. You’re dead. Bye!” I just wish that James Dashner had made their deaths longer, so it would give the characters a proper closure that they deserved…
I guess that’s the only con I have!
The plot
IT IS AMAZING!!! And that is about the only thing that I can say without giving away too much of the plot!
The twists!
I DID NOT SEE THEM COMING! The plot was just so fast paced, and the twists came one after another, it was just breath taking and then it left me speechless.
The Ending
I can’t say much,apart from it was an amazing ending! It was left on an amazing cliffhanger. I really shouldn’t say any more.
The Characters
I just felt that I connected with them immediately. Especially Minho. He is so cool! I found myself in their situation, and I couldn’t help feeling sad, when they felt sad, and happy when they were happy! I know. It sounds really cliché… but IT’S TRUE!!!
The front cover
I know, this is a minor point, and that “you should never judge a book by its cover”… But the cover of this book looks awesome!!! And it is exactly how I imagined it!!!!!!!!
Favourite Quotes
“You’re the shuckiest shuck-faced shuck there ever was”
“shouldn’t someone give a pep talk or something?” Minho asked, pulling Thomas’s attention away from Alby.
“Go ahead” Newt replied.
Minho nodded and faced the crowd. “Be careful,” he said dryly.
“Don’t die.” *I LOVE THIS QUOTE!!!
“You’re disgusting when you eat,” Chuck said, sitting on the bench next to him. “It’s like watching a starving pig eat his own klunk.”
“I’ve been shucked and gone to heaven.”
Overall, this book is amazing! It is definitely a must read! Easily 5 shuriken stars!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Maze Runner.