Kelly's Reviews > Wilde's Fire

Wilde's Fire by Krystal Wade

Mar 14, 2012

bookshelves: friendly-author
Read on March 16, 2012

Katriona Wilde, her sister Brit and her best friend Brad don’t have a clue what they are about to get themselves into when they head into the woods for a traditional camping trip. Kate has experienced wonderful dreams that always turn into horrible nightmares, ending with the death of her ‘dream-lover’, Arland. But are they just dreams?! They must be, because Kate doesn’t know who Arland is. When Kate, Brit and Brad tumble through a portal they find while on their camping expedition, it spits them out into another world and Kate realizes that the dreams may have some truth to them, she only hopes that the death of Arland doesn’t come true.

Wilde’s Fire is written in the present tense, and while I wasn’t a big fan of present tense in the past, Krystal Wade has changed that! Though the eyes of Kate, we seeing everything as it happens. It’s immediate, right now, and intense. I love the action of the scenes, Krystal is a great writer and I really enjoyed Wilde’s Fire. It’s fantasy at its best. Filled with magic, hidden portals, daemons... a great twist to the fantasy / supernatural genre!

I want to mention a few of the characters... Katriona of course, being the main character, I will start with her. She starts off in this book as a naive young adult who has never even kissed a boy! She is thrust into this world that had only existed in her dreams and excepted it rather well considering I would have fought like hell to get back to the ‘real’ world. My first thoughts of Kate were, oh please don’t be a push over, fight girl, fight! (I am a kick-ass heroine junkie so when I see a character come off as a little weak I always root for them to become stronger) and wow, did she ever!

Brad Tanner has been Kate’s friend for...well, ever, since she can remember, but little does she know he is in lover with her. I rooted for Brad, even though the sexy warrior of Kate’s dreams comes into the picture, I still rooted for him. Even when my brain said, ‘Hello?! Sexy warrior!” I still wanted Brad to have Kate. Until of course, Krystal threw in that nice little twist. (I’m not telling what, so you’ll just have to buy the book and find out for yourself!)

Arland. Well, he is the sexy warrior of her dreams so its only fitting that they would be together, but Arland does a great job at keep distance between them and Krystal Wade does an amazing job at showing that he doesn’t really want to even though its through Kate’s eyes and she has mixed feelings about what he wants.

Ok, that’s enough talk about the characters, I just had to ramble a little because I enjoyed them so much!

Overall I am very impressed with this novel for quite a few reasons, but I think the most important one is that Krystal Wade has changed my opinion on present tense. Honestly, I really didn’t like it before picking up Wilde’s Fire and more often than not when reading a book written this way, I usually put it down, but with Krystal’s book I couldn’t put it down. I wanted to keep reading, I had to find out what Kate was going to do, what was going to happen when the dark and light clashed and who she was going to end up with. I’m still not sure about that because there are more twists to come in book two, I can feel it!

Well done Krystal, I am thoroughly impressed and I am so happy I had the chance to read and help promote your book. Great job!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wilde's Fire.

03/16/2012

Krystal Wade Awesome review! I am so glad you enjoyed Wilde's Fire, and I'm happy to be the one to change your mind on present tense!! And you know there are going to be some INSANE twists in Wilde's Army, so hold onto your seat!