Stephen's Reviews > Zero History

Zero History by William Gibson

8195676
Mar 14, 12

Read in March, 2012

I picked this up on a whim and was pleasantly surprised by this one until about the last 100 pages. After three-fourths of the book was devoted to character development and thought-provoking commentary on branding and marketing, the book shifted gears into an action thriller with fortuitous coincidences accumulating at such a rate your suspension of disbelief becomes stretched to the breaking point. I suppose since this was the last book in a loosely connected trilogy, character arcs had to reach some conclusion. It seemed forced, and a bit of a betrayal of the possibilities that were explored in the meatier middle section of the text.

Gibson's prose can be off-putting and for the first 25 pages or so I began to think he was deliberately attempting to tailor his book for a certain audience. The literary bloat subsides as the narrative gains steam. The book is worth the time for the issues that are raised regarding a corporate/military driven future economy/culture, but the Mission Impossible ending diverts your attention from these matters to the detriment of the novel's potential impact.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zero History.