Sian Jones's Reviews > Rich Dad, Poor Dad

Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert T. Kiyosaki

Aug 20, 08

bookshelves: nonfiction
Read in August, 2008

Before I started on this one, I read the negative reviews of it and gulped. Why had I decided to read this again? Oh, that's right. Cary Tennis from Salon recommended it. So, with trepidation, I nevertheless plunged in. It's more of a financial philosophy book than a how-to, written by a man who clearly loves the hard sell. (How many times do I need to hear the phrase, "The rich don't work for money. Money works for them." Apparently, SIX MEEEEEEELLION TIMES.)

It can tend toward the simplistic, its prose definitely bears all the marks of a self-published work, and its capitalist gung-ho could use the TEENSIEST bit of examination, but other than that, I found the philosophy of the book helped me begin to think about my larger financial goals WITHOUT having to hyperventilate into a paper bag on a near constant basis. So that's good.

This book's not the final word on the matter. It's A word on the matter, or a bunch of words, and many of the words made sense and felt empowering. So. I liked it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rich Dad, Poor Dad.