Katie Ellis's Reviews > Rules

Rules by Cynthia Lord

Mar 14, 2012

I loved this book! I thought it was very unique and confronted a topic that is typically avoided in society right on the head. At the very end of my copy, there was an after words about the author that said she wrote the book because there are not many books about special needs kids out there, and I agree! I think that many people are afraid to talk about these issues and by doing so, it makes it much more awkward when we do talk about them. Lord did a fantastic job, and I love that the chapters were divided up by rules!
One of my favorite parts in the book was when Catherine finally decided to dance with Jason. I think it really showed that she was finally ready to accept what other people were going to think of her, and she didn't care.
"Next to me a girl lifts her arms above her head. One by one the other dancers join her, palms reaching upward, swaying back and forth. Jason joins them, palms open. Standing there, in the middle of the floor, in front of everyone, I lift my hands and reach for the ceiling, the sky, the stars. And I dance."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rules.