Helene Harrison's Reviews > The Roots of Betrayal

The Roots of Betrayal by James Forrester

ISBN? - 9780755356041

Genre? - Historical / Drama / Mystery / Action

Characters? - William Harley Clarenceux King of Arms / Francis Walsingham / Elizabeth I / William Cecil / Mary Percy Countess of Northumberland

Setting? - London (England)

Series? - Clarenceux #2

Title? - The title sets us up for the third book. Clarenceux is betrayed and his family is put in danger, and he ultimately betrays those around him.

Character Analysis? - In this one, Clarenceux seems a less complicated character. His motives and feelings aren't as well hidden, leading to less mystery than in the previous one. I would have also liked to have seen more of Lady Percy, and the monarchical response to what was going on.

General Comments? - This book is a smooth continuation from Sacred Treason and it gives more in depth information on the marriage crisis. But it also involves more complicated themes like betrayal, rather than just death and torture and fear and love. It puts a false storyline in a real situation; protecting a marriage certificate in order to save the monarchy. However, I don't think this book is as good as the previous one. I think that too much almost was given away in the first one, so there was a lot less mystery and excitement in this one.

Recommend? - Yes, merely setting up for the conclusion but worth a read nonetheless.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Roots of Betrayal.