Shelbi's Reviews > The Tenant of Wildfell Hall

Oct 26, 08

bookshelves: favorite-books-of-all-time
Recommended to Shelbi by: Stephanie
Read in October, 2008

** spoiler alert ** This book has definitely made its way into my List of Favorite Books, something that is not easily done. I can see why Sally would have her girls read this before dating... it's so pertinent to today's world, it's ridiculous. I am also amazed that Anne Bronte is not more widely recognized.

The characterization is so real, that I really forgot I was merely reading a book. Gilbert's anguish was so real to me that I was physically tensing up and reading faster. I was also astounded at Helen's patience and good will... I know I for one could never be that forgiving. As for Arthur Sr., I was totally and completely disgusted with the man. The thought of real life Arthur makes the whole idea of marriage quite repugnant. It was definitely a lesson to me, to be less self-indulgent, to work hard, and to 'cease' to be idle.

In my opinion, "The Tenant of Wildfell Hall" has it all: the romance, the terse suspense, and a great moral. I would reccommend this book to everyone. In fact, I'm surprised English classes do not include this novel into the curriculum.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tenant of Wildfell Hall.

10/23/2008 page 135
10/25/2008 page 210
39.25% "I am so disgusted with Huntingdon... I could call him a lot of things, but what a scumbag!"
show 3 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sally (new)

Sally Linford This is a very important book: it marks the first time in lit that a woman protagonist leaves an abusive marriage, and she still remains the heroine, builds a life for herself--not a wanton woman of the world who deserves her ruin.

It's also one of the 5 books my girls have to read before they can go on a date. (For more info, see my blog: www.showerwall.blogspot.com)

I really like it.

Shelbi Sally-
Thank you so much for commenting and re-piquing my interest in this book. I've put it on hold for a while, on account of the recent book, Brisngr, but I will be sure to read this quickly.

message 3: by Dawn (last edited Oct 12, 2008 08:31PM) (new)

Dawn I also liked this book. I remember studying it in college and I'd like to reread it. Anne Bronte is less famous than her sisters, but still quite a good writer. I'm intrigued by Sally's comment about books her children need to read--what would I choose for my children?! I'll have to meditate on that. Sally, if you read this, you might also consider Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson for your girls when they are teens. Check my book list for my review of it.

message 4: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy I'm so glad you are enjoying this book. It's in my top ten - not just for a good read, but for what Anne did for all of us. We owe her!