Willow's Reviews > Hollowland

Hollowland by Amanda Hocking

Mar 14, 2012

bookshelves: heartbreaker, murder-she-wrote, series, shoot-em-up, zombies-are-cray
Recommended to Willow by: Pen-rye-n
Read in February, 2012

Zombies are pretty big right now, but I've never really read a book about them, so when this was recommended to me by a friend who really gets my reading taste I jumped right in, and it was cuh-razy, but holy smokes, it was good.

The story had so many elements, and they were told in a super economical way. Each page is a package deal of action, suspense, humor, longing, and character development. That impressed me. You jump right into the effed up place that our world has become after rabies has transformed into a zombie virus. There is something frighteningly plausible about this.

Remy King was just a teenage girl until the world flipped the switch turning into a waking nightmare and she had to learn how to survive quickly, not just for her, but for her younger brother. She has a transformation into a total badass, that has happened before the story starts, but settled into her head it's easy to believe why this once normal everyday nineteen year-old girl has learned to fight, shoot, and will decapitate a zombie without flinching. She is a beast, and yet there's still that teenage girl in her, and that juxtaposition is what I loved. And then there's the mystery of what's going on with her brother. That was a neat twist. That's right. I said neat.

There were a lot of crazy moments with cults, zombies, and a hollowed out Las Vegas while Remy sets off on her quest picking up lost girls and rock stars along the way. There's a hint of romance, if you can believe it, there's humor and sarcasm, and it all ends up wrapped up in a nice, "Well what the hell is gonna happen next?!" It isn't so much a cliffhanger as making a deposit into seeing this crazy world through.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hollowland.