Jeremy Preacher's Reviews > Discardia

1973239
Mar 14, 12

bookshelves: business
I own a copy

Discardia is basically the intersection of two books I am extremely fond of - Simplify Your Life by Elaine St. James and Getting things Done by David Allen, written in extremely accessible, intelligent prose, and aimed at modern middle-class people with white-collar jobs. (Not that there's not a lot in it that would work for, say, stay-at-home moms, but it's worth acknowledging that there are some class and technical-skill assumptions here.)

Sanders appears to hang out on the same parts of the internet that I do, and I find that charming as hell. (She quotes both my boss and two of my customers at different points.) And the advice, from decluttering to goal-setting, is sensible, achievable, and well-presented. The "holiday" framework (Discardia is a quarterly event, as presented in the book) works fine as a rhetorical device, and is clearly offered as a take-it-or-leave-it idea.

I'd definitely recommend it to folks who like personal-organization books, and people who need some decluttering or general life-goal-setting encouragement.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Discardia.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dinah (new) - added it

Dinah Those two are indeed among the top five books I'd cite as an influence, Jeremy. Well spotted! :)

Jeremy Preacher Heh, awesome. Discardia will be right at home on my bookshelf then.

I was sort of surprised to see you quoting Pastabagel but not this quote, which is one of my favorite views ever about "stuff" and its place in our lives. (Although it's possibly worthy of an entire book in its own right.)

message 3: by Dinah (new) - added it

Dinah Oh yes, the Pastabagel Possession Principle! Love that. Unfortunately didn't discover it until after I'd finished the book, so it'll have to go in the 2nd edition some day. ;)