Chris's Reviews > The Case of the Missing Marquess

Mar 17, 12

liked it
bookshelves: sherlock-holmes, ya-fiction
Read from March 15 to 17, 2012

This book was recommended to me by several people, in a group here on goodreads, whom have enjoyed the tales of Sherlock Holmes. Always looking for further reading of one of the worlds greatest detectives I figured I would give it a try with an open mind. Considering this series revolves around the much younger sister of Sherlock Holmes I was intrigued to see how this story played out.

Of course Sherlock and Mycroft appeared in this book as they are shocked to learn there mother has disappeared, and when they find Enola has not been raised in the style of a proper Lady Mycroft decides to send her to boarding school. Enraged by this idea she plans to escape her carriage and set out to find there mother on her own. While on her own she stumbles on another boy slightly younger who has turned up missing. In the true style of Holmes she uses her skills of deduction to help with the case.

I had to keep telling myself this series was meant for young adults, because it was very predictable and I had figured out the end quite early in the story. That being said, I still enjoyed the book for the simple reason that I liked reading this new twist to classic Holmes stories. It did depict a more compassionate side to Holmes that was both refreshing and unsettling because it is not how I have grown to know the character. Enola shares quite a few characteristics with Sherlock so it was easy to fall in line with the characters way of thinking, which at times did lead me to figure out what she would do before it happened. This is not the best Holmes spin off I have read but it was written well enough, and was enjoyable enough that I will be continuing the adventures of Enola Holmes for a little while longer at least. I do look forward to the other books in the series and hope to find them as entertaining as this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Case of the Missing Marquess.

message 1: by Merin (new) - added it

Merin I want to read this series, too. Trying to decide if it would be good for upper elementary, though, or if it's more appropriate for middle schoolers. What do you think?

Chris You know that is a tough call. I read it in two days because it was a very easy read. The subject matter is nothing an upper elementary student couldn't handle. My only thought would be to save it for middle school children because there are a lot of terms used that we're not I'm my vocabulary when I was in elementary school. Other than that I think kids who are warming to the idea of Sherlock Holmes would enjoy this.

message 3: by Jack (new) - added it

Jack Have you read the Laurie King series? I have just finished the first one and it was very good.

Chris I have but I wasn't to impressed with the first one. I liked it enough to want to read on. I won a copy of the Garment of Shadows. I started it but then had to put it down for other things because it was a bit slow to start.

I will give it another chance but I think I will need to be in the mood for it. Thanks for commenting. I love to talk books.