Amanda's Reviews > Bringing Up Bébé: One American Mother Discovers the Wisdom of French Parenting

Bringing Up Bébé by Pamela Druckerman

Mar 14, 12

Read on March 14, 2012

This will be one of the only - if not THE only - parenting style books I read. I'm a Francophile anyway, but I loved this American expat's take on the study of French parenting & how she tried to integrate it, as best she could, into her children's lives while living in Paris. Firm rules & boundaries, but with freedom within that. Respect for children as intelligent beings capable of learning - and NOT in need of constant hand holding to do so. Respecting the fact that parents have lives & needs - and that the world doesn't revolve around your kids. No hovering, over analyzing, emphasis on "parenting style", constant praise, paranoia like American parents today do. One of my biggest peeves is having a conversation with a friend who's attention is about 50% - because the other 50% is talking to or entertaining their kid. French children are taught that being alone & entertaining yourself (even as toddlers) is expected. Their parents respect them enough to allow them to do so, and in return, they respect their parents' needs separate from them, too.
Amen.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bringing Up Bébé.

03/14/2012 "This will probably be one of the only - if not THE only - parenting book I read. I'm a total Francophile anyway, but I love this American journalist's approach to studying & integrating (as much as she can) French parenting methods into her children's lives. Firm rules, but freedom within. Routines, manners - no hovering paranoia the way American parents do. Parents have needs & lives - they don't become kid-centric"