Chris's Reviews > Things I've Been Silent About: Memories of a Prodigal Daughter

Things I've Been Silent About by Azar Nafisi

Mar 16, 12

bookshelves: favorites, diaries-memoirs, history-africa-middle-east, literature-biography, poc-on-cover
Read from March 14 to 16, 2012

This book isn't about Iranian politics. It's about an Iranian daughter and her family. This isn't a bad thing. Nafisi is a fasinating woman, and this book, written in chronological sequence, is in many ways a mediation on family which makes it strangely compelling. It is as if you are watching Nafisi walk back thorough her memories.

Yet despite its very personal feel, the book also is a good way to show the differences and similarities of culture. Nafisi family is warped but in much the same way that many American families are warped. Showing that while culture might affect us differently, some things are human, not cultural.

Of course, some things are cultural, like when Nafisi is forced to veil when she goes to work. And this is important too, because people are amazingly alike while being amazingly different.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Things I've Been Silent About.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Terence Have you read Reading Lolita in Tehran?

That's another great book by Nafisi.

Chris Yes, read that a few years ago.