★Ruth★'s Reviews > Half Black Soul

Half Black Soul by H.D. Gordon

Jan 01, 14

bookshelves: witchs, vampires, uf, shifter, magic, dual-pov, demons, angst, series-read-ya-supernatural
Read from March 15 to 20, 2012

So this is the sequel to Blood warrior, which I loved. But unfortunately I didn't love this as much.
Don't get me wrong I will certainly be continuing on with the series but there were a few things in this book which detracted from the story for me.
The main one being Nelly's POV. I understand why it was done, we found out what was happening back at Two Rivers through her & also learned more about her & her powers. But because I'm not a huge fan of Nelly I found myself skimming through these chapters just pulling he necessary info & wanting to get back to Alex.
I also didn't like how similar her discovery of what was going on was to Alex's, it seemed like it was nearly copy & pasted with Nelly's name & abilities substituted for Alex's.
We also got a tiny glimpse into Kayden's mind but it fell a bit flat for me as it was at a time when lots was happening so you didn't really get to know him or his feelings for Alex through this glimpse, IMO. I would loved to have been in his head for a more intimate moment but perhaps we will get this in the next installment.
I still love Alex and I was intrigued with her Monster, it was very similar to Dexter's dark passenger in that it was it's own entity.
And again we are left in no doubt from the start that this is a dark tale with a description of Alex meeting a human predator. That's one of my favorite things about this series, that it is not a light and fluffy tale.
I guess I feel we didn't move forward enough in this one, although we did find out some valuable information & hope for a bit more to happen in the next.
I will definitely be looking forward to the next in this series.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Half Black Soul.

03/19/2012
51.0% "Not sure if I'm loving Nelly's POV"
01/01/2014 marked as: series-read-ya-supernatural