Sarah Jane's Reviews > World Without End

World Without End by Ken Follett

May 15, 2012

bookshelves: medicine, overcoming-obstacles, fiction, historical-fiction, politics, religion, war, the-plague, strong-female-protagonist
Recommended to Sarah Jane by: Jill Grace
Read from March 14 to April 07, 2012

Follett writes epic historical fiction in incredible, enthralling detail. If someone had told me five years ago that any force on Earth (much less the writing of one man) could make me find architecture fascinating, I would have had a hearty laugh. I love Follett's descriptions. It is so clear that he loves his subjects, and he researches every detail that goes into his books. I could compliment his treatment of history endlessly.

However...

Every time I read something by Follett, I am reminded that George R. R. Martin has ruined my taste in books forever. Next to characters like Tyrion, Eddard, Arya, Jon, Jaime, etc. Follet's characters are flat and predictable. While Follet is never hesitant to write about tragedy, I never have any fear that my favorite character will perish or even be denied his/her true love. I'll admit it's comforting, at times, to have that assurance, but it makes The Pillars of the Earth and World Without End that much less engaging for me.

When all is said and done, World Without End gets a solid four stars. It's definitely worth reading - in truth I hardly set it down - but it's no SOIAF.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read World Without End.

03/25/2012 page 303