Ashley Williams's Reviews > Somewhere in the World Right Now

Somewhere in the World Right Now by Stacey Schuett

Mar 14, 2012

bookshelves: ece-3601, fiction, math, science, science-literature-and-poetry

This is a great book that can be used in math, science or social studies. If used in math I would read this book before talking about different times zone. It can be used in grades 1-3 depending on how in depth you go on the topic. I would have the students pick a country and then compare the country to our time zone. I might give them mock times to focus on and then have them figure out the time in Paris if they are 6 hrs ahead of us.

For science I would also use this with grades 1-3. I would use this at the engage part of the lesson. I could also have the students look at a map and figure out (or I would tell the students depending on grade level) the amount of time a country they are interested in is ahead or behind the US ( eastern time zone). We would could then talk about what students wold be doing at different times in another country. For instance if Paris is 6 hrs ahead, when it is 12pm in our time zone it would be 6 pm in Paris. What would a student be doing in Paris at that time. What would we be doing.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Somewhere in the World Right Now.