Lani's Reviews > The Guy's Guide to Feminism

The Guy's Guide to Feminism by Michael Kaufman

May 04, 12

bookshelves: feminism, kindle, non-fiction
Read in March, 2012

Obviously I'm not the target audience here, being both a girl and mostly beyond the 'Feminism 101' part of my life. But the book was cheap for the Kindle and I was curious about whether it would be something to recommend to others.

I didn't really appreciate the 'just between us guys' voice of the authors, but again, I know I'm not the target audience. It often came off as somewhat embarrassing and belittling to the reader, but maybe I wasn't reading with the right attitude.

The book does generally address sort of the 'hot topics' of feminism and tries to Slowly and In Small Words explain the Female Perspective to Men. But I can't think of anyone I could suggest the book to, a guy open to a book about feminism is likely a little more aware than this book assumes, and the ones who need such a dumbed down approach are unlikely to read this on purpose.

I think I would rather introduce an interested guy to some intelligent examples of feminist thought. There are plenty that are geared towards 'beginners' or that make their points without the jargon. I'd rather give a guy some credit and assume he can read a book that doesn't talk down to him.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Guy's Guide to Feminism.