Tfitoby's Reviews > Something nasty in the woodshed

Something nasty in the woodshed by Kyril Bonfiglioli

Jul 11, 12

bookshelves: black-as-night, funny
Read from July 09 to 11, 2012

Something in his heart told him to come clean
He was not who he claimed to be
Something in his genes told him to pretend
’twas something for the weekend

These lyrics from The Divine Comedy song have been stuck in my head for days thanks to the opening line of she said there’s something in the woodshed and the jaunty pop number with the dark undertones seemed perfect alongside the idea of a Charlie Mortdecai adventure. Until I read it.

I'm not exactly in the minority in thinking this is the least fun of the three books in this series, Charlie is in Jersey and making fun of the people of the Bailiwick throughout his hunt for a rapist who appears to be drawing on The Beast of Jersey for inspiration.

Mortdecai is at his charmingly offensive and witty best but the story and related paraphenalia let him down here. The witchcraft element comes across as complete and utter nonsense and the location is largely dull after the first few japes at Jersey's expense.

In answer to claims of his hatred and belittling of women, I say sure he's a overt misogynist but it's done it such a way that you'd be hard pressed to actually take offense at him, he's a humourous caricature that pokes more fun at the upper class middle aged white man than anything else.

There are some great one liners and some superb paragraphs, I particularly enjoyed the soliloquy on adopting an old lady as a pet, but it is not enough to save the book in its entirity.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something nasty in the woodshed.

07/11/2012 page 76
44.0% 2 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Keeten I have a feeling I'm going to like these...only three ugh!

Tfitoby I have a surprise for you: All The Tea In China this one sort of makes four and The Great Mortdecai Moustache Mystery sort of makes four and a half.