Jessie's Reviews > A Woman Named Smith

Mar 14, 12

bookshelves: vintage, vintage-romance
Read from March 14 to 15, 2012

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Woman Named Smith.

03/14/2012 page 8
2.0% ""The garden around this house,"—Alicia spoke in a whisper—"stretches to the end of the world and then laps over. It hasn't been trimmed since Adam and Eve moved out. But those crape-myrtle trees are quite the loveliest things left over from Paradise, and I'm glad we came here to see them with our own eyes!""
03/14/2012 page 35
9.0% "Lol, I'm liking this so far... ' "Sophronisba? What! Another one? Good God!" cried the doctor. "All right! Get a poodle. Keep the cats. Get a parrot—and an orphan with the itch—and a hyena—and a blunderbuss! Her name is Sophronisba!—I—oh, Lord, where's Jelnik? I have got to go and warn Jelnik!" And he made for the door. '"
03/14/2012 page 64
17.0% "LOL ' "And was he really guilty?" breathed Alicia. Her sympathy was instantly with Richard. That is exactly like Alicia, who is sorry for the fatted calf, and the Egyptians drowned in the Red Sea, and Esau swindled out of his birthright; had she been one of the wise virgins she would have trimmed the lamps of all the foolish ones and waked them up in time. '"
03/14/2012 page 110
29.0% "And...I'm back from dinner. Here's another gem: "Our prices will be predacious, piratical, prohibitive, and profitable. We shall stop just this side of highway robbery. Therefore our demands will be cheerfully, nay, willingly met; and everybody, including you and me, Sophy, will be satisfied and happy!""
03/14/2012 page 220
57.0% "Best. Line. Ever. ' Then I patted into shape the hair that The Author had pulled awry, and said in the cold, accusing, I-die-a-martyr-to-your-stupidity voice that women punish men with: "I think I shall go home." ' I need to practice MY I-die-a-martyr-to-your-stupidity voice - who knows, might come in handy XD. Ah, man, this book has its flaws - but I find myself loving it :D"
03/14/2012 page 320
83.0% ""I found myself growing more and more confounded and confused. Was I, or wasn't I, engaged to a man who had never asked me to marry him? In the vernacular, I didn't know where I was at any more." -Sophronisba While being uncertain as to whether or not you are engaged must be highly disconcerting in real life, it is entirely diverting to read about in a novel. :D"
show 1 hidden update…