Ciska's Reviews > Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

Apr 07, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012
Read from April 03 to 07, 2012

The author
Seth Grahame-Smith is a best-selling author, screenwriter, infrequent political blogger and producer of film and television.
He grew up in Weston and Bethel, Connecticut, and received a degree in film from Boston's Emerson College. In 2004, eh quit a TV development job to become a freelance writer- and for a few years that seemed like a very bad decision.
Published in 2009 his first novel, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, debuted at #3 on the New York Times bestseller list.
Seth lives in Los Angeles with his wife and son. For more information visit http://sethgrahamesmith.com/

The synopsis
Indiana, 1818. Moonlight falls through the dense woods that surround a one-room cabin, where a nine-year-old Abraham Lincoln kneels at his suffering mother's bedside. She's been stricken with something the old-timers call "Milk Sickness."

"My baby boy..." she whispers before dying.

Only later will the grieving Abe learn that his mother's fatal affliction was actually the work of a vampire.

When the truth becomes known to young Lincoln, he writes in his journal, "henceforth my life shall be one of rigorous study and devotion. I shall become a master of mind and body. And this mastery shall have but one purpose..." Gifted with his legendary height, strength, and skill with an ax, Abe sets out on a path of vengeance that will lead him all the way to the White House.

While Abraham Lincoln is widely lauded for saving a Union and freeing millions of slaves, his valiant fight against the forces of the undead has remained in the shadows for hundreds of years. That is, until Seth Grahame-Smith stumbled upon The Secret Journal of Abraham Lincoln, and became the first living person to lay eyes on it in more than 140 years.

Using the journal as his guide and writing in the grand biographical style of Doris Kearns Goodwin and David McCullough, Seth has reconstructed the true life story of our greatest president for the first time-all while revealing the hidden history behind the Civil War and uncovering the role vampires played in the birth, growth, and near-death of our nation.

The review
To start with the three star reason. To many footnotes and the end is taking to long. Now to the good things.
Despite the fact that Abraham Lincoln is a well know historical figure the author still took some time to introduce the person to his audience. I like this cause as a European I did not know much of Lincolns past. True it is significant to the story too.
The story is separated clear in section with parts of the diaries and parts where there are summaries of the diaries. If you read to fast you might read over it making the story slightly confusing but taking a step back there is always a clear point of view in the areas.
Some parts of the story could have gotten more attention. There where several letters which where ignored while there is a long story about the time where Lincoln did not kill any vampire which is what the book should be about.
Summary: very entertaining read, well set atmosphere, bit long-winded at points but no clear reason to tell people not to read it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Abraham Lincoln.

Quotes Ciska Liked

Seth Grahame-Smith
“Without death,' he answered, 'life is meaningless. It is a story that can never be told. A song that can never be sung. For how would one finish it?”
Seth Grahame-Smith, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessa (new)

Jessa Ciska, how are you enjoying this? I am a bit weary about investing in this book.

Sally Me too - not sure if it's my cup of tea, so I'll be curious to see what you think!

Ciska not really spectacular, easy to read book.