ElaineY's Reviews > Shattered

bookshelves: mf, romantic-suspense
Read from March 22 to 23, 2015

REVIEW OF AUDIO & EBOOK; MARCH 23, 2015
Narrator: Susan Ericksen

What a pleasant surprise from an author that has been a hit and miss with me. There were niggles, just a couple, so I'll get them over and done with first:

Lisa, the supposedly hotshot young lawyer with a Boston law firm, now lowly researcher for DA, Scott Buchanan, came across as a bit of a ditz at first, then later, as merely beautiful, rich, trophy-wife material. She's supposed to be a lawyer from a prestigious Boston law firm yet I didn't see her do anything remotely connected to her profession other than having a court appointment. And one more thing - Lisa takes a file home from a cold case - something strictly against the rules because the original documents are needed should the case be re-opened. Did Lisa know? Of course she did. She's a lawyer, after all. Yet she still takes the original instead of making a copy and taking that. Of course said original file is destroyed in the fire. Buchanan tears into her and rightly so. I can't help but roll my eyes when authors give lip-service to their MC's profession or allow their their MCs to commit such idiotic acts.

Second, Ms Robards' editor was asleep on the job. The writing was downright awful in parts. Overly-long sentences strung together with commas, so convoluted I had to wonder how Ms Robards even kept track of what she wanted to say. I had to open my ebook to read - three times! - a passage because I couldn't make heads or tails from the audio.

Those two are the only complaints I have. Apart from them, I loved the book:). The romance was wonderful!!! I do not like it when the romance overwhelms the rest of the story nor when it's underdone. Here, Ms Robards struck the right chord with me. Buchanan was hot and sexy all the way, even when he was being a bit of an asshole towards Lisa at the beginning. But, Lisa being the dolt she was, deserved it, IMO. Lisa was "on a fast-track job as an associate in one of Boston’s premier law firms" and then took a job in Lexington, Kentudky, with another prestigious law firm. When this firm went belly-up and the economy was such that she couldn't get another comparable position where she was, she had to go begging Buchanan, practically, for a job. Any job. It wasn't that she couldn't find a good position elsewhere, in another city - her mother's rapidly-declining health made Lisa decide to remain at Grayson Springs, the horse farm her mother had inherited from her wealthy parents.

Lisa got more likeable as the story went on and I liked how her romance with Scott was played out over the entire book. Great balance between the romance and mystery.

The latter, I thought, was also well done and I liked how it was wrapped up, how all my questions were answered. The mystery was intriguing right to the very end and while it isn't difficult to guess certain aspects, I did remain confounded as to how the little details fit together.

I thought this book was excellent as far as a romantic mystery went and Scott Buchanan was a sigh-worthy hero, one who had loved Lisa before he was even in his teens. I loved that there was none of the push-pull antics that many romance authors like to employ. Scott and Lisa were refreshingly mature in their handling of a romance that had the potential of making the boss and subordinate the subject of ugly gossip. I totally loved Scott and even Lisa eventually won me over.

If not for the clumsy writing in some parts and Lisa coming off more like an inexperienced clerical assistant than a hotshot lawyer, I would have given this 5 stars.

The Narration: As always, I love Ericksen when she's not doing Eve Dallas of the shrill-voiced, uptight cop.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shattered.

03/22/2015 marked as: currently-reading
03/23/2015 marked as: read

ElaineY Put this on Low Priority following Isis' review.

message 2: by ElaineY (last edited Mar 23, 2015 03:09AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

ElaineY I'm so glad I changed my mind and didn't bypass this in the end:)