Hal's Reviews > We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed With Our Families

We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed With Ou... by Philip Gourevitch

Apr 28, 12

Read in April, 2012

This book was very hard to read, and when I told people I was reading it, I received more often than not a confusing and ambiguous reaction, which was not unlike the international community's response and continued emotional attitude toward Rwanda.

Gourevitch tells the vivid details of the genocide in a way that is both historically informative as well as giving insight into the ground-level effects on individuals that he interviewed. It balances passages of detail with emotional impact in a manner that is smooth and effective. His willingness to speak to anyone involved in the Rwandan genocide results in a very rounded look at the issue, and thoroughly demystifies any notion that the issue was one of tribal warfare.

There were many passages in this book that made my heart ache, but that is not a reason to avoid it. The hypocrisy and corruption of so many organizations and authorities who could have done something about the genocide is horrifying. Through knowledge of what occurred, perhaps steps can be taken toward improvement, and by reading this book, you gain some of that knowledge.

Providing a window into the horrors that can occur when imagination is manipulated en-masse, while giving a reflection into the failures and false assumptions of Western society, Gourevitch's work is triumphant.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed With Our Families.