Courtney's Reviews > Song of My Heart

Song of My Heart by Kim Vogel Sawyer

Mar 20, 12

bookshelves: christian, christian-historical-fiction, clean-romance, for-review
Read from March 13 to 20, 2012

“Song of My Heart” is an entertaining and quirky story that is filled with awkward moments, tension, mystery, and a sweet romance!

Sadie is the oldest in her family and when her father has a devastating injury that leaves him unable to work and her mother at home to take of him she feels it is her responsibility to provide for the family. So when her cousin Sid tells her of a clerk job in Goldtree she decides it is the best way to care for her family. Little did she know that Goldtree would have one surprise after another.

The best part of this story is the characters. Thad is by far a remarkable hero; he is so genuinely caring and sweet. He isn’t perfect though and he is wrestling with his own broken past and plans for the future! I love how he grows throughout this novel as he seeks what God wants for his life. He is very protective over Sadie and will do just about anything to keep her safe!

The secondary characters are also worth mentioning. Sadie’s cousin is bit overwhelming and at times I just wanted to smack him. Melba, Shelba and Asa are beyond weird and they add quite a bit of humor to this sweet story. I thought most of the secondary characters were a bit quirky and awkward but boy were the funny.

Sadie is a delightful character as well. She has a voice of an angel and a heart of pure gold. All she wants is to provide for her family and finds that her desperation to provide might lead to some trouble. She wrestles with choices to trust God will help provide or to go against her beliefs to ensure money will come in. Wow, what a struggle. I can’t imagine having a burden that you are the only one bringing in money for your family of six.

The ending is spot on! I wouldn’t want it to end any of other way!! This is such a charming story and I very much enjoyed it!! I’ll be on the lookout for more by Sawyer.

I received a free copy of the book from the publishers via Litfuse for my review. I was not required to write a positive review, all opinions are my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Song of My Heart.