Sarah Sammis's Reviews > The Improbable Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

Mar 13, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: audio, pc, read-in-2012
Read from March 13 to June 09, 2012

The Improbable Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by John Joseph Adams edited by John Joseph Adams is a collection of short stories featuring Sherlock Holmes written by contemporary authors such as Neil Gaiman, Laurie R. King, Michael Moorcock. Roughly half of the stories assume a supernatural solution to the mystery, whilst the others find a mundane solution.

These stories were written anywhere from 20 years ago until the year the collection was published. The collection starts off with a story that brought to mind the 1999 movie, Mimic. Laurie King's story, meanwhile, fills in some gaps in her debut Sherlock Holmes book, The Beekeeper's Apprentice. Another story asks the question — what if Moriarty and Sherlock's roles were reversed?

For the audio book, two narrators were brought on board: Simon Vance for the stories where most of the characters are male, and Anne Flosnik for the ones where the main character was female (Mary Russell, for instance). I wish they had just let Vance do all the stories.

By the time the first of Flosnik's pieces comes around, I had grown accustomed to Vance's style and cadence. Flosnik, for reasons unknown to me, tries to give her women regional accents. None of them work, though, and all of her characters end up sounding like Zecora from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. With the exception of Laurie King's story, I ended up skipping most of Flosnik's narrated stories because her performance was got in the way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Improbable Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.

05/08/2012
05/17/2012
24.0% "The woman sounds more like a Voodoo queen than a woman with an Italian accent. :/"
show 33 hidden updates…