Linda's Reviews > Red Planet

Red Planet by Robert A. Heinlein

May 03, 12

bookshelves: family-audio-books, fiction
Read from March 13 to May 02, 2012

The quality of the audio book is very good, like all of the full cast audio production. My kids enjoyed this book. I didn’t like it as much. I fell asleep from boredom during the first CD. I was a bit interested by the end of the second CD. The most interesting thing about the book, to me, was looking for all the ways I could date the book. The author is completely pro gun and pro 1st amendment rights. Boys walk around, at school, with guns strapped to their hips. You would never see anything like that written for a mainstream, young (8-13 years old) audience, today. At one point a character makes an “obvious” point that a boy should be considered a man if he was old enough to fight, and a girl is a women if she can cook and clean. Too bad that line came near the end, because it amused me for the rest for the book.

I didn’t enjoy the book very much, but I think that is unfair to judge a book clearly meant for a young person by my own tastes. I’m not even going to knock for its clear sexism. It was written in the 50’s, so I’ll give it a pass in that regard. The sexism is so blatant that it is comical, which helps. However, as a Christian Mom, I do have a couple of problems with the book. There were some weird ideas about God and ghosts. I didn’t quite understand what the “old” Martian was, but, whatever he was, the concept wasn’t in keeping with a Christian world view. Also, there was an unnecessary amount of death, and, when characters were killed off, there wasn’t any reverence. My kids were a little creeped out by the “magical” way the last people were killed and the idea of the Martian ghost, but they still gave it 5 stars. I, personally, would rate it 2-3 stars. I’m giving the book 4 stars, because my husband liked it, and my kids said that it was great.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red Planet.