Jeannie Lee's Reviews > Her Choice

2052379
Mar 16, 12

bookshelves: romance
Read from March 13 to 16, 2012

I am loving this book! So reminiscent of a Georgette Hyer!

I adored this book! My best friend pointed me in the direction of Georgette Hyer, and I can't wait to point her in the direction of Reina Williams!

This was a wonderfully heartfelt tale of a naive 18 year old girl on her first season in London. I realize a lot of people don't believe in the innocence that Miss Cecelia portrayed, but they are wrong. I loved her sheer innocence and naivety simply because I was there when I was 18 as well. I loved the feeling of bantering with certain boys, but wasn't looking for that kind to marry.

It was refreshing to have a heroine who trusted her father and obeyed him. It was also refreshing to have the hero so significantly flawed that you really didn't know if you wanted to trust him or not. Most of the time you fall in love with the male lead, but in this book there are several and none of them are very worthy of adoration.

I was truly surprised by the ending. I had put a few things about the intrigues together, but not all of it. Honestly, it blew me away! I NEVER suspected!

It was also very refreshing to read a book that kept to the "old" style of grammar, without fail. I truly felt that I was living in the time period, feeling the oppressiveness of the London air, the wonderful freshness of the grounds surrounding Lionel Hall. I could picture the dresses perfectly, but she still left enough to your imagination to make it fun and interesting. I felt Cecelia's confusion, heartbreak, and outrage, as well as her uncertainty. Though her mother was a shrew that almost bordered on hateful (I can't stand when people blame their kids for things that they had no control over), after reading the ending I know understand and have changed my opinion of the woman.

If you love a clean romance, I really highly recommend this one!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Her Choice.

message 1: by Reina (new) - added it

Reina Williams Thank you so much for reading the book and reviewing! Your review made my weekend. :) When I first wrote the book, I wasn't sure who she'd choose, but she let me know (with some help from her family :)!
Happy Spring!