Kristen's Reviews > Above All, Be Kind: Raising a Humane Child in Challenging Times

Above All, Be Kind by Zoe Weil

Sep 05, 11

bookshelves: parenting
Read in September, 2011, read count: 2

This book gave me so much more then I expected. Living humanely means to encompass all the best qualities of being human: kindness, compassion, honesty, willingness to change, generosity, courage, self discipline, humor, wisdom and integrity ... of course being all of that all the time is not realistic but, learning to have most qualities most of the time can be. It's the kind of book I'll want to read again to remind myself and reinforce the messages.

This book teaches the four elements of humane education:
1. provide information
2. teach critical thinking
3. instill the 3 R's of reverence, respect and responsibility
4. offer positive choices

The overall message is how to raise (yourself and) your children to be humane in the broadest sense: to become not only compassionate in your interactions with family and friends, but to grow up and make life choices that demonstrate respect for the environment, other species and all people. It is full of real life experiences as well as helpful stats on health, animal suffering, world hunger, consumerism, sweat shop labor. This isn't a lengthy section, and the author does not insist we live every choice humanely but, for me, i felt it was important information to read and learn about.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Above All, Be Kind.