Mamers's Reviews > The Magic Room: A Story About the Love We Wish for Our Daughters

The Magic Room by Jeffrey Zaslow

Mar 24, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, adult-non-fiction, its-my-party-and-ill-cry-if-i-want, michigan, parenting
Read from March 13 to 24, 2012

4.5 Stars

This book made me tear up no less than ten times and at first I couldn't decide if this was because of the touching stories or because I knew the author would never get to walk his daughters down the aisle for their weddings. I've decided it was both and that almost makes me love it more. I also must add that I'm from Grand Rapids, MI, so some of the stories hit pretty close to home. I'm one of those crazy people who has a hard time separating her love for nostalgia from her intellectual thoughts, so this may also influence my rating. I really don't care.

This was a beautiful book about love, loss, and redemption. It was about the societal changes taking place in weddings around the country over the last 75 years. It was about the hopes and dreams parents have for their daughters. It was about the dreams brides have for their futures. As a wife, I fully empathized with these brides. I had (have) those same dreams. As a mother of two boys, I also understand now that the moms and dads of little girls are counting on my husband and I to teach our boys how to respect, honor, and cherish their future wives. No small task, of course, but I assure you, I am up to the challenge. Books like this one help guide me on this crazy path of raising men.

Jeffrey Zaslow was taken from his family far too early, but what a gift he left behind. I hope, wish, and pray that his girls find comfort in their father's words during the years to come.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magic Room.

03/18/2012 page 110
36.0% "Julie's story is killing me. Time for a break."