Lisa's Reviews > Beach Music

Beach Music by Pat Conroy

May 24, 12

bookshelves: southern, favorite-authors
Read from April 18 to May 24, 2012 — I own a copy

I never thought I'd write anything less than a glowing review of anything written by Pat Conroy, but I guess there's a first time for everything:(. Beach Music was a good story and it was certainly filled with the exquisite prose that I have come to expect from Pat Conroy. However, the story was weighed down by superfluous conversations between characters that all spoke with the same clipped, cynical, wounded,defensive voice. I even found myself skimming through pages of it to get to the next event of the book. It was as though the author indulged himself with lengthy, overblown digressions of discourse between characters that he was thoroughly enjoying, but that the reader had to wade through. Yeah, yeah, I get the point, get on with the story, Pat!

With all that said, Pat Conroy is still one of my favorite authors. He writes with emotional brilliance and I still intend to read the rest of his books! How can one resist an author that writes sentences like, "We grew still as the ocean spoke to the night a single wave at a time."?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beach Music.