Gretchen's Reviews > The Last Days of Dogtown

961931
Mar 26, 12

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read from March 18 to 26, 2012

My aunt read this book before me, and when I asked her what she thought of it, she said, "It's not as good as The Red Tent." And skimming through the reviews of this book, I can see that a lot of people felt the same way. Well, I haven't yet read The Red Tent, though it's on my list. And reading The Last Days of Dogtown did not deter me from wanting to read it.

The Last Days of Dogtown is about the few people who remain living in Dogtown, a dying village on New England's Cape Ann, in the early 1800s. Most of the inhabitants who are left are widows, spinsters, or outcasts who eke out a meager living doing whatever they can to get by. As the years go by, people leave, and people die off, until there is no one left in Dogtown.

At first I had a hard time really figuring out where this book was going. It seemed like most of the chapters were just short stories about some of the characters, and I was beginning to think it might be like Dandelion Wine, which I read awhile back for my book club. (Not that I didn't like Dandelion Wine.) About halfway through the book, though, there starts to be more of a discernible plot, and it was at this point that the book started to pick up for me.

I enjoyed getting to know the characters. By the end of the book, I felt like I really knew them, and I was glad for their happiness and victories. Overall, an enjoyable read that kept me entertained for a day at jury duty... until I finished it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Days of Dogtown.

03/20/2012 page 72
03/25/2012 page 130
49.0% "So far this just seems to be a collection of short stories revolving around the same set of characters... no real plot that links them together. Curious to see how this plays out."