Jennifer's Reviews > Fingersmith

Fingersmith by Sarah Waters

Aug 06, 08

bookshelves: staben-memorial-library
Recommended to Jennifer by: the BBC (and Netflix)
Recommended for: anyone who likes a good story
Read in August, 2008

Even though I watched the BBC version of this novel before I read it, I still loved it and was sucked into this crafty world of 19th century England. If David Mamet's movie of cons and con men, House of Games, had been set in 1860's London, it might have gone something like this. Sue Trinder, orphaned at a young age, and raised by Mrs. Sucksby and her "family" of thieves, fences, and ner-do-wells, is pulled into a complex con game with a young man, the neighborhood calls the "Gentleman." He needs Sue's help to woo another young orphan, Maud, who lives with her reclusive uncle in the country--an orphan who will come into money of her own only after she is married. Sue takes on the role of Maud's maidservant and her job is to help the romance along; however, once the Gentleman spirits Maud away to be married (since her uncle would never permit it), the plan is to have Maud institutionalized as insane and for Sue and the Gentleman to take the money. However, things are much more than what they seem and Sue certainly did not bargain on having feelings for Maud.

This is simply a great "story" and one that gets the nitty gritty period details spot on. This book made the 10-hour drive from Ely, MN back to Illinois fly by and I'm eager to read the Water's novels I haven't yet read.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fingersmith.