Jana (That Artsy Reader Girl)'s Reviews > Sound of the Heart

Sound of the Heart by Genevieve Graham

May 30, 12

bookshelves: arc, from-pub-or-author, historical-fiction, romance-historical
Read from April 06 to 09, 2012

I read Genevieve's Under the Same Sky and reviewed it over at The Broke and the Bookish last month, so I was excited when Genevieve contacted me and asked if I was interested in reading this companion novel. Under the Same Sky was a tricky read for me, as some of the subject matter was highly distressing, and my tender heart had a hard time reading the recounting of certain historical happenings, including rape, abuse, and war. I wrote to Genevieve about my struggles, and we began discussing history and how women were treated during the times this book covers. Genevieve is here today to talk about what she and I discussed (how researching opens up so many unknown truths), and you can find her guest post beneath my review of Sound of the Heart. Now, on to my review (which I will try to keep brief so this post does not turn into a HUGE read!)! I fear my review will be vague, as there are so many ways to include spoilery... but I will do my best to not spoil anything!

1. I went into this book expecting a darker read, like Under the Same Sky. The covers of both books are rather deceptive, so don't assume you'll be getting a light, fluffy romance when you pick them up. Sound of the Heart is much lighter than Under the Same Sky, and I actually ended up liking it even more than I liked the first one. I rarely like sequels or companions as much as the first book, so I was pleasantly surprised at my reaction to this one.

2. Now, we're still dealing with some heavy subject matter, it's just spread more thinly throughout the book, plus there's much less violence towards women, which is what I struggled with in book 1.

The bulk of the first part of the book tells us all about Dougal's time being imprisoned as a POW after he survives the Battle of Culloden (which is actually told in great detail in Under the Same Sky). The struggles of life in prison during this time are told in great detail, and I felt so badly for Dougal and all the others with him. There was a lot of violence, and prisoners were killed or beaten for the smallest reasons.
Women were treated very poorly and we read some instances of rape and abuse. It's much tamer and less detailed than in Under the Same Sky.

3. I really liked Dougal. You don't learn much about him in the first book, but I liked him just as much as I liked his brother, Andrew in Under the Same Sky. We're given another sexy Scottish Highlander with a cute accent and a sweet demeanor. He befriends and watches over two younger boys who are imprisoned with him, and I loved the tender bond the three formed. He sort of adopts them as his own brothers after his family died in the battle. The loyalty to his family was very touching. I love family guys. I also really liked his friend Joseph, who had a lot of personality and a sense of humor that lightened the mood during the dark times of the story.

4. Glenna is a very dynamic character, with a lot of secrets. I won't tell you how she falls into Dougal's life, because that's a spoiler, but I really liked her. I appreciate the fact that Genevieve writes strong female characters. So many historical romances make women look like submissive, meek little chickens with no backbones or common sense. Glenna was SO strong, just like Maggie was in Under the Same Sky. She was thrown some major curve balls in life, but she's still a sweet character with a lot of street smarts.

She is captured from her humble home with Dougal and shipped overseas, where she is sold into slavery. Hello? I had no idea white slavery existed during this time, nor did I know that Scottish men and women were essentially kidnapped and shipped to the Americas to serve as slaves or fight for the English Army. Her life as a servant starts out better than most, but then things go wrong and she is placed into a terrifying situation. She fights back, though, and I kept saying, "Yes! You go girl!" all throughout the book. I loved watching her grow. She also runs across some wonderful friends, and I enjoyed reading their stories as well. They all had such sweet personalities, even though their lives were far from pleasant.

5. The romance was really wonderful. Glenna and Dougal are adorable together! Sadly, a lot of this book is them trying to get back to one another once they are separated, but you can feel the longing they share. Their love keeps them alive, and I really enjoyed reading about a love with that kind of power.

6. Again, Genevieve does not disappoint with her writing style. It's gorgeous. She has a way of packing you up and taking you to the settings in the book. She also has the power to make you feel what the characters are feeling. I know that's why I struggled so much with Under the Same Sky, and why I ended up really enjoying both books. It's because her writing is so powerful that it feels real. You're sent on this roller coaster of emotions and feelings, and when the ride is over you're as in love with the characters as they are with each other.

Overall, I'm so glad I read this book. I loved reading about Dougal and Glenna's love story, and I enjoyed learning more about the history during this time in Scotland, England, and the American Colonies. I would recommend this to lovers of historical romance and historical fiction. Genevieve has a book 3 in the making, and I KNOW I want to read it! It tells the story of Adelaide, Maggie's sister in Under the Same Sky. SO exciting! Hopefully Penguin picks it up, as I know it'll be nothing short of amazing.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sound of the Heart.

04/06/2012 page 35