Sally's Reviews > We're with Nobody: Two Insiders Reveal the Dark Side of American Politics

We're with Nobody by Alan Huffman

Mar 13, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: america, borrowed-from-library, politics
Read on March 13, 2012

The Positives: two guys who have 'muck-raked' do not name names but tell stories that had me alternately amused and stunned. Yes, they're right when they say it's all about the quality of character. If a guy has a history of bad financial dealings, he probably isn't the guy you want to hear talking about balancing budgets or being in charge of the Fed. I also appreciated the introspection that they do on admitting that their job can be construed negatively. No mention of Gloria Allred either.

The Negatives: These guys are great at not naming the names in their own investigations, but not when it comes to anything else. And if they don't name the names, they sure make it easy for us to know who they're talking about. They present facts when talking about their investigations, but their true blue opinions sure show through when talking about that second group of people, which include Palin, the DE Senatorial candidate whose name I forget, and Tea Partiers. They also fall foul of their own distortion of the facts. The late Andrew Breitbart (described as "a conservative web predator") did not railroad Shirley Sherrod in quite the manner they suggest. And for two people concerned about documented, provable facts, the book has no endnotes, sources, bibliography, etc. Which would have been useful for the times when they cried foul on Karl Rove, Andrew Breitbart, and Sarah Palin. What is your proof, gentlement?

Plus, could they not come up with better chapter titles? We go from "Alan" to "Michael" and back to "Alan" again. I get it. They alternated the writing of the chapters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We're with Nobody.

03/13/2012 page 133