Emily May's Reviews > Above

Mar 31, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: young-adult, 2012, paranormal-uf, coverly-love
Read on March 31, 2012

Oh, I did not like the way this book was written. At all. It's weird but I actually tend to like it when authors write their novels in strange dialects, I think it adds a certain uniqueness and personality to the characters, for example, in Blood Red Road. However, the use of it in Above was teeth-grindingly annoying for me. The sentences became disjointed and simplistic, it felt like a book for a much younger audience at times because of this.

Also, I felt absolutely zero connection with the narrator. The distance was so great that it took me almost fifty pages to realise that a) the book was written in 1st person, and b) the narrator was male. I mean, if you're a female author and a book has a pretty cover with a girl on the front, then I'm automatically going to assume the main character will be a girl - unless you give me reason to believe otherwise. Actually, this book is narrated by Matthew and I'm struggling to recall ever finding such a bland protagonist. He has a name and he's in love with a girl called Ariel... that's it. That's the extent of his characterisation as I see it.

Ariel, too, is forgettable. She is defined by her beauty, her blonde hair and bee wings (which, admittedly, is pretty cool), but she is meek and uninspiring. I could not care for these characters even if the writing had been more sophisticated, there was just nothing exciting about them. Or the world they lived in either.

Matthew and Ariel are part of a group of "freaks" who've been living underground away from the horrors of the world above. But they are forced to flee when their home comes under attack one night. The book promises "the most dangerous place he [Matthew] can imagine" that lies in Above. But really, what actually happens? This is a very melodramatic statement to make when the world they ascend to seems rather mild and non-threatening compared to some frightening places I've read about.

Overly simplistic writing, not enough drama and dull characters. Yet 1 star seems too passionate for a book that left me unmoved, I didn't hate it, I simply didn't care much either way.
40 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Above.

message 1: by Brandi (new) - added it

Brandi Ooooo....very much looking forward to your review. This is one I have almost bought a couple of times but stopped myself each time.

Emily May For such a pretty cover... I found this incredibly dull.

message 3: by Brandi (new) - added it

Brandi UGH! I'm in such a slump. I need a good book damnit.

Emily May Well, I just had a look at your TBR shelf to be nosy and you have so many great books on there. Anna Dressed in Blood, On the Jellicoe Road, Some Girls Are, Split, White Cat... I would whole-heartedly recommend any of those. If you're after urban fantasy in particular, I would suggest trying White Cat - I love that book.

message 5: by Brandi (new) - added it

Brandi Emily wrote: "Well, I just had a look at your TBR shelf to be nosy and you have so many great books on there. Anna Dressed in Blood, On the Jellicoe Road, [book:Some Girls Are|66248..."

Ah, thank you! I will. :)

message 6: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly I'm about 50 pages in, and having a rough time with it. This makes me think I should just abandon ship. The narrator's voice is driving me crazy (especially the constant tic of using adjectives where there should be adverbs ARRGH), and you're right about the distance and blandness of the characters.

Emily May @Cillian I know, it's unbelievable!

@Kelly I've got a feeling a lot of people will be disappointed with this after seeing that pretty cover. Such a letdown.

Giselle I agree 100% with this review I DNFed it it was just too hard to understand. I was 50% through before i realized a character was a chick when I though they were a dude the whole time.

message 9: by Emily May (last edited Apr 01, 2012 09:07PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Emily May I'm glad it wasn't just me, Giselle, I wondered a few times if I was just being dense... but I really thought it was a female MC.

Giselle Emily wrote: "I'm glad it wasn't just me, Giselle, I wondered a few times if I was just being dense... but I really thought it was a female MC."

Haha no it's not just you it's very hard to grasp. I got to 60% and I had no idea what their intentions even where. Like what was the book even about!? Def, not for everyone.

message 11: by Amanda (new)

Amanda I totally agree. I thought the language in this book was horrible. I had to keep re reading sentences.

message 12: by Nicole (new)

Nicole I understand what you mean by weird writing in Blood Red Road. it is so worth reading, one of the best. So if this is weird to you, and not in a good way, its not going into my book list to read

Rania That first sentence nailed it! It was really hard to digest the book. Physically and mentally draining.