Rayroy's Reviews > Moon Deluxe

Moon Deluxe by Frederick Barthelme

Aug 27, 13

bookshelves: mordern-life-is-a-drag
Read from March 13 to 19, 2012

Raymond Carver, Margaret Atwood and John Barth give “Moon Deluxe” high praise, and for good reason, the seventeen short stories that make up Frederick Barthelme’s collection are sublime and simple yet they speak at such a human level. These "Southern" stories take place in the 1980’s, among the back roads, coast highways,strip malls, apartment complex swimming pools, Shoney’s, Safeway’s, and diners of the Mississippi Gulf Coast. What they also have in common is each is about people bored or lonely or both, who meet other people and have everyday conversations , that turn into something meaningful or revealing, small talk that makes you feel less alone among strangers and detached loved ones. Frederick Barthelme writes so simplistic, effortlessly and with sort of a beautiful optimistic sadness, about people lost and lonely looking for human connections, whether they are single bachelors who watch too much T.V., stalkers, or avid middle age toy collectors. Like in life, it’s the small moments with loved ones or strangers that make this a moving read that shouldn’t be passed up. In the age a iPhone facetime, where people date more on-line, where people rather than start conversations in the check lisle or on the bus, instead play Candy Crush and avoid each other, we need more everyday connections like the one's in this book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moon Deluxe.

03/13/2012 "need a braek from the great White Whale, Octavo,Killer, Thrasher, Narwhale,Nostril Whale,Black Fish, and so on. So I'm going to read a short story or two from Moon Deluxe"
03/13/2012 page 52
22.0% "The short stories here are so simple and so moving, in life it's the small wonerful moments that matter the most."
03/13/2012 page 52
22.0% "*The short stories here are so simple and so moving, in life it's the small wonderful moments that matter the most"
03/18/2012 page 187
78.0% "I'm in love these short stories that are simply sublime, about the small meaningful conversations and moments we have with strangers or loved ones. I want to be at the swimming pools and blimp ruins Federick Barthelme writes about."
show 3 hidden updates…