Waiting For Wentworth's Reviews > What My Girlfriend Doesn't Know

What My Girlfriend Doesn't Know by Sonya Sones

Mar 17, 2012

liked it
Read on March 13, 2012

What My Girlfriend Doesn't Know picks up where What My Mother Doesn't Know left off. Only this time we get a male POV from Robin Murphy (aka Murphy). Robin is an outcast and loser at school. When he starts dating Sophie her social status drops and her 2 best friends turn their backs on her. Robin and Sophie try to tough things out together, but Robin can clearly see how hard things are for Sophie. When Robin gets invited to audit a college art course his life outside of high school brightens up. He is accepted and liked for who he is and easily makes new friends, which boosts his confidence. Then he starts to feel bad because he is happy when he is not around Sophie and high school and all the drama that their relationship has caused. Can Robin and Sophie's relationship stand up to the pressures of high school? Will Sophie's friends ever accept her relationship with Robin?

What My Girlfriend Doesn't Know is told in verse form. I like how Sones uses differing forms of poetry throughout the book to fit specific scenes. This was a very quick read. It was really easy to get wrapped up in and hard to put down. I ended up reading it in one sitting.

I liked this book better than the first. Seeing things from Robin's perspective was very interesting. Sones manages to convey Robin's fears and desires very realistically. Alternately funny and sad, I think this book perfectly captures how difficult adolescence can be.

Even though What My Girlfriend Doesn't Know features 14 year olds, I would only recommend it for anyone over 14 for it's sexual situations and nudity.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What My Girlfriend Doesn't Know.