Cindy's Reviews > Fury of the Phoenix

Mar 13, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult
Read in March, 2012

What I liked - the world building, with the exception of the Europeanish country that just seemed off somehow. The China-esque stuff was great as it was in the first book. Gruesome sometimes, but always interesting.

What I didn't like - The villain's backstory was interesting, and I'm always up for an exploration of how someone can become corrupted into evil....but I wished there had been more acknowledgement that he had, in fact, become a monster, and no one forced him into it even if he was tricked into certain things along the way. His love story with Silver Phoenix was tragic but it's a bit unsettling to think she would find him at all bearable after what he became, and Ai Li having sympathy for him...well, it's complicated. I believe having compassion is a powerful trait, but that doesn't mean you ignore evil when it's staring you in the face.

Thought-provoking, not sure I agree with some of its themes, but overall it's a decent sequel to SIlver Phoenix. I'd definitely like to see more non-Western style fantasy, and less whitewashing of covers!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fury of the Phoenix.