Kris's Reviews > Z Is for Moose

Z Is for Moose by Kelly Bingham

Mar 13, 12

bookshelves: 2013-mock-caldecott, mixed-media, humorous, childrens, favorites, picture-book, alphabet-book
Read in March, 2012

The first time I read this, I laughed out loud -- and I was staffing the library's reference desk at the time. But it takes a pretty clever story to make this librarian laugh a big ol' belly laugh, and this one is clever with a capital C. Observant readers will notice that the story actually starts before the title page, with an obviously excited Moose holding up the curtain to reveal the line-up for the book, organized by Zebra. The illustrations continue through the title page (altered by Moose) and the dedication, right up through the start of the book. What appears to be a standard alphabet book becomes so much more! Readers will feel for Moose, who can hardly wait to be a part of the book. My absolute favorite spread is one of the best-illustrated temper tantrums I've seen -- all of Moose's pent-up frustration comes right out in a big, messy way. By the end, the reader is feeling pretty bad for Moose, and so is Zebra. I can hardly wait to share this one with kids.

6 Starred Reviews: Booklist, Hornbook, Kirkus, PW, SLJ, CCBC.

See also review at 5 Minutes for Books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Z Is for Moose.