Lacey Louwagie's Reviews > Persepolis 2: The Story of a Return

Persepolis 2 by Marjane Satrapi

Aug 05, 08

bookshelves: graphicnovels, memoir
Recommended to Lacey by: a former GEB girl
Recommended for: people interested in world politics
Read in August, 2008

The girl who originally recommended the Persepolis books to me told me that the second one wasn't as good as the first (which kept me from being motivated to read the second, but when I found out the new Persepolis movie covers both books, well . . . I have this thing about reading books before I see the movies.) I'm glad I did pick this up; although it gets off to a slower start than Persepolis, it's worth the wait. Since Marjane is an adult in this book, it's easier to see how oppressive the Islamic revolution really was, since an adult *should* have so much more agency than a child. Marjane's feeling of being misplaced no matter where she was -- too 'traditional' for Europe, too 'progressive' for Iran -- will ring true to anyone who's ever felt like an outsider. Like the first one, this book brings politics and history that can seem confusing and irrelevant to "Westerners" personal and complex. Reading it is like having the conversation you'd be able to have if you weren't too scared of being politically incorrect or naive to open your mouth.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Persepolis 2.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Spoonbridge I have read both of the Persepolis books as well and really liked them, they were both equally interesting to me, but I agree, there are differences to the experiences of a child versus an adult that came through in the works, I thought. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I also like reading the book first. I have heard good things about the film. I do think perhaps more people should read Satrapi's works so that they might understand that Iran is the home of "normal," everyday people in addition to religious fanatics. Interestingly, I read Persepolis 2 right after another graphic novel involving the "Axis of Evil," "Pyongyang: A Journey into North Korea" buy Guy Delisle. It was also very interesting, though much different in style and written by a visitor to the country. I'd recommend that one as well.

message 2: by Lacey (last edited Aug 07, 2008 09:36AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lacey Louwagie Hi, Harris. I'm planning to see the Persepolis movie within the next couple weeks, and I can't wait. The animation looks beautiful, and since Marjane wrote it, I think it will ring true to her experiences depicted in the graphic novel. I look forward to swapping opinions when we've both seen it. :) I agree with you completely that more people should read these books; it really humanizes the conflict in the middle east in a way that Westerners, and Americans especially, don't see. Thanks for the recommendation of Pyongyang; I should read more graphic novels; I've only ever read 4, but so far, I've loved every one.

JG (The Introverted Reader) I love this line: Reading it is like having the conversation you'd be able to have if you weren't too scared of being politically incorrect or naive to open your mouth.

That is absolutely true. Thanks for sharing the great review.