Dave's Reviews > Watchers

Watchers by Dean Koontz

Mar 19, 12

Read from March 13 to 19, 2012

Okay, I listened to this on audio; I didn't hold the book in my hands and read it, so maybe that has colored my opinion on this novel. BUT.
I think (I'm not sure, and too lazy to find out) this was one of Koontz's first novels. It shows.
It seemed like every character or scene was described, not with adjectives and, you know, other descriptive words, but by comparing it to a famous person or novel. Characters' personalities were illustrated through outlining the novels they read. Their physical appearances were illustrated by naming the famous person they resemble. A standout conversation went like this (paraphrased, of course):
Lem: They didn't want to make it TOO smart. They've all read Frankenstein.
Walter: So they created a monster? Didn't they ever read The Island of Doctor Moreau?
And so on.
I could overlook that, if it was the only hiccup that broke my suspension of disbelief. The dialogue was hokey and unbelievable. The only thing that held up throughout the novel (and I recognize it's a pretty big one) was the story idea. It's a great idea. It was the execution that I didn't really enjoy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Watchers.