Sara's Reviews > Slide

Slide by Jill Hathaway

Apr 26, 12

bookshelves: 2012, mystery, young-adult
Read on April 25, 2012

Everyone thinks Vee has narcolepsy, but instead of falling asleep whenever she goes unconscious, Vee slides into someone else's mind and sees the world from their perspective at that very moment. No one knows about this because she doesn't think anyone will believe her, but it's how she's found out secrets about all the people around her. One day, she slides into a body she doesn't recognize and sees a murder that the person has just committed; the victim is Vee's sister's friend. The death is ruled a suicide, and Vee is the only one who knows it was murder. Unfortunately, there's no way to explain how she knows this, and so Vee starts trying to get to the bottom of the mystery without knowing who she's up against.

I really liked the premise of this book. It reminded me of Lisa McMann's Wake, in which the main character falls into other people's dreams, but the focus of the story was different, as was the writing style. The pacing was excellent; it doesn't open immediately with the murder, instead giving the reader time to understand Vee's ability and the relationships she has with those around her. The friendship she has with her best friend, Rollins, is very believable, as is the strained relationship she has with her dad and sister. I liked the fact that Vee wasn't given a "quirk" or other trait to make her memorable and relatable to the reader. She seemed like a geniunely normal teenage girl, dealing with the same problems anyone in her shoes would have, except for the fact that she also has the uncontrollable power to "slide" into other people. This paranormal aspect was present and definitely advanced the plot throughout the book, but it was handled in a way that made the book overall seem more contemporary; the paranormal part was there, but not the focus.

The mystery hooked my interest early on and kept me reading, eager to find out how everything would tie up. I did not figure out the mystery before Vee, which was nice, and I thought the ending was fitting (if strangely convenient). All the characters developed nicely throughout the book, and the author did a good job providing clues to the ending throughout the book that I didn't realize until later.

I enjoyed this book quite a lot overall and was kept entertained throughout. The author is clearly very talented at bringing characters to life and keeping a mystery going from start to finish. I'm not sure what the sequel to this novel will bring (one's scheduled to be released next year), since this book seemed to stand alone well, but I look forward to reading more from this author.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slide.