babyhippoface's Reviews > Flotsam

Flotsam by David Wiesner

282057
Mar 13, 2012

Read in March, 2012

Wordless books are not my thing. I suppose that reveals something about me. I like rules. I like clear-cut. I like linear. I like to read the story, not try to guess it. Wordless books don't play that way. You can't just read it, you have to decipher it. You have to interpret it. It's sort of like poetry with pictures.

Poetry is not my favorite.

Again, it's the deciphering bit that bothers me. Can't you just tell me what you want me to know??

But I liked Flotsam. Yes, it was weird, and those parts were my least favorite. But I really love the idea of finding an old camera and developing the pictures to see through the eyes of the person who had it before you. I also love the idea of the photo within a photo within a photo.... Those are the kinds of concepts that fascinated me as a child. I loved the Nancy Drew stories where she found something hidden--a diary or something else old that holds secrets.

This is just a fun fantasy with lots of interesting ideas to talk about. It would make a terrific story-starter for elementary kids.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flotsam.

Karen Have you seen Sea of Dreams by Dennis Nolan? It is very similar, but I really loved it.

babyhippoface I have not seen it. I'll have to look it up!