Chanelle's Reviews > Red Lily

Apr 23, 12

liked it
bookshelves: fave-character-s, nora-roberts-i-have-read, reviewed-2012
Read from April 18 to 23, 2012

I must confess that this was the most anticipated book in this series for me. I was excited to read Harper and Hayley's story! I was so eager to know how they would discover each other's feelings and fall even deeper in love.

Yet I must confess that while the Harper Bride kept me in suspense (and added a great edge to the plot) Harper and Hayley were a bit forced to me. There were sweet, romantic moments and timely revelations, but I would rate Black Rose as the true climax of this series.

Someone commented that Roberts' portrayal of Hayley suggested that she views 24 year-olds as immature (guessing from the reviewers comments)however, I do think Hayley is a naturally bubbly, energetic and excitement-loving person. What struck me (and this is where I understand what the aforementioned reviewer is speaking about) is that Hayley in this novel seemed different from her character sketch in the first two in the series. This inconsistency makes her seem less confident and, at times, less expressive than before. I do admit that the supernatural interference in her activities is a very good reason for a change in character, but Roberts' women are so strong that they simply shift their point of view instead of having to make overly massive personality changes.

Don't get me wrong. Change is inevitable in life and in a good story, but the fact is, when I read this book, I felt that I didn't really know Hayley when I thought that I did. To an extent Harper as well, but this is the novel where Harper is finally allowed to take more of a pivotal role. Interestingly enough, Stella's and Roz's characters reinforce their unique characteristics during their appearances.

Overall, this was good as a continuation and conclusion of the events of the series, especially in terms of the juxtaposition of the paranormal with the values Roberts espouses of fraternity, moral/emotional fortitude, family and love. Quite frankly, I can see a great movie adaptation for this series as well, but it was a slight letdown to the second installment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red Lily.

04/18/2012 page 234
67.0% "Hayley and Harper sitting in a tree....

Don't you just love her (potential) hybrid flower? Very sweet. Could have fell in love with him for coming up with that alone."

Lisa I absolutely adored this trilogy ! I wanted to move into Roz's house with everyone even with the ghost there !!

Chanelle Lisa wrote: "I absolutely adored this trilogy ! I wanted to move into Roz's house with everyone even with the ghost there !!"

I know exactly what you mean! They're all so warm, inviting and caring and loving. Overall it's just a nice warm feeling, right?

Lisa Yes, it is. NR is so great at character development. With all her characters, I always feel like I truly "know" them and once again , I love the warm, fuzzy , friendly welcoming feel that Roz's house emitted . NR has a knack for creating these environments too :)