Michelle's Reviews > The Unexpected Miss Bennet

The Unexpected Miss Bennet by Patrice Sarath

Apr 10, 12

bookshelves: favorites-2012, romance, fiction
Read from March 11 to 14, 2012

Mary Bennet from Pride and Prejudice gets her own chance at love in this book. She usually gets remembered for playing the pianoforte with determination rather than skill, singing poorly, and lecturing. While I was intrigued this book sat on my shelf for a while before I picked it up; mostly because I was not very interested in Mary Bennet. I was wrong. She made for a charming heroine. The adventure begins when Jane and Lizzy decide that Mary too should get her chance at happiness. Lizzy invites Mary to stay at Pemberley. Slowly Mary begins to grow beyond her narrow views.

The author did not try to perfectly mirror Jane Austen’s unique style, which was nice as that often falls short. It does have the flavor of the time period and some witty observations about the characters foibles, so while I did not think I was reading an Austen original it was a very solid trip into her world. The characters felt pretty accurate, from Catherine De Bourgh’s condescension to Mr. Collins sycophant tendencies, to Mrs Bennet’s nerves. The one character who felt slightly off, was Mr. Bennet, but that was my one minor complaint. Overall, a delightful read.

Favorite quote: "Just because she was not meant for a great life did not mean she was meant for a small life."
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unexpected Miss Bennet.

03/17/2012 page 304