Sarah's Reviews > Call Me Irresistible

Call Me Irresistible by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

Mar 28, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: adult-fiction, contemporary, audio-version, humorous, romance, series
Read in March, 2012

Can I call forcing myself to read unappetizing books "professional reading" since it's for Reader's Advisory purposes? If so, then this is professional reading.

*Update: 3/28/12*

Okay, so after my snarky introduction above, I must retract my statements. I surprisingly liked this book ... quite a bit actually. I didn't expect to based on the cover, the blurb, and the beginning chapters (so pretty much based on everything about it), but I soon warmed to the author's style. The characters and plot are imbued with a warm sense of almost absurd humor. The secondary characters might not have been the most well developed (the pack of crazy Wynette gossip), but I came to enjoy Meg and Ted in all their convoluted, crazy-behaving ways.

Meg being constantly cast as the Pariah (and the only one able to read Skipjack) was a little offputting, but it helped her to grow as a character. Ted's development from Mr. Cool to the real glimpses of pressure he experienced was fun to observe, too. The epilogue was unnecessary for me in its cheesy glory, and I think I would have been more satisfied if it had just ended with the final chapter.

Altogether, this was a delightful surprise that was fun to listen to in the car. A nice change of pace from what I've read so far this year.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Call Me Irresistible.